grizzle guts

July 01, 2013

IMG_8639 IMG_8638

I've written one hundred million times on how tough Violet is in the face of owies and boo-boos and yet in the last few weeks we have seen an increase in the fake grizzles. Bleeding couldn't induce tears a month ago but now hitting her thumb on the side of our soft leather couches warrants red-faced fake, tearless crying. As seen above, after tripping and putting her hand down firmly on the wooden deck, a thing that has been done by Violet almost every day before that day since we moved here, without upset. I do not hate this. Why? Because it's accompanied by cries of "TUDDLE! TUDDLE! OWIE OH TUDDLE!" and I get cuddles. And then "Tiss bittah? All bittah" before she runs off to do something else. I don't hate having magic kisses and being a climbing frame of cuddles!

Rob doesn't like it. I think he's proud of our slugs and snails, and puppy dogs' tails little trouper. He doesn't want to encourage her to become a grizzle guts. I keep reminding us both that it's just a symptom of something else, she just needs more right now. Maybe those molars are getting ready to come through. Maybe she's a little jealous of Beatie's cuddle time. Maybe she's just feeling a bit sooky this month. It's all just phases, isn't it? Every time I think we've locked down one or another trait or behaviour in either kid as definitely being definitely definite and here to stay something else comes up, and off it goes. I always thought I spent my teens and early 20s figuring out "who I am" but with kids I've realised that you spend your whole life, from birth all the way to then figuring out yourself, and the world. And then you have kids and everything you thought you were and were about goes out the window, and you have to start all over again. Figuring out who you are as a mother AND a person outside of that, when your priorities have shifted. How can you be expected to be anything for sure at age 2 and 2 months?

5 comments:

  1. Oh sweetie. Elle did this when Mia was first born. Elle was also such a sweet little thing but kept hitting her sister in the face whenever she saw her. Elle wanted extra cuddles, would cry for the tiniest things. And yes, it was a phrase. I think its just their insecurities, things have changed and she just needs extra reassurance and any way she get it right now, she will. It will pass darling, i promise x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i love it, give me any excuse more more cuddles and I'll take it!! x

      Delete
  2. You are so right about life always seeming to be about finding out who we are and what makes us up. I love your attitude to your grizzle guts.

    Leaving some fairy wishes and butterfly kisses from #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm such a tough love mum when it comes to grizzling, but only because I have a lot of drama queens in the family, and I'm just over it!!!
    I'm sure it is just a phase; I think you're right when you say it takes our whole lives to work us out. I think I still go through lots of phases :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww bless! Love your outfit my dear xx

    ReplyDelete



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...