Today I am exploring Darling Harbour in Sydney with the girls while Rob does lots and lots of prep at Expo. Meanwhile, you're being treated to a sweet recipe from lovely Lulu. Ta da!
I'm Lulu and today I'm sharing a favourite recipe of mine from my blog Lulu's Wonderland.
After flicking through Sweet magazine yesterday it got me in the mood to do some baking. I haven't had the chance recently so i thought I'd try my luck making my first ever meringue topped cupcake.
Ingredients for the sponge and filling -
4oz butter, at room temperature
4oz golden caster sugar
2 free range eggs
4oz self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180oc/350f. Fill a 12 hole non-stick muffin tin with cupcake/muffin cases.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until its light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each one.
3. Sift the flour and baking powder together and add to the batter mix, adding a third of the flour mix at a time. Follow this with the vanilla extract.
4. Half fill each paper case with batter, then add a teaspoon of the lemon curd in the center, add another spoonful of the batter to cover the curd. Make sure there all even and covered completely.
5. Place in the center of the oven and bake for 20 mins or until the cakes are springy to touch. Place on a wire rack and leave to cool.
6. Leave the oven on for the meringue topping!
For the meringue topping you'll need -
4 large free range egg whites
225g golden caster sugar
1. In a clean bowl beat the egg whites using an electric hand mixer until it forms stiff peaks. It normally takes about 10-15 mins and if you can form a peak your there!
2. Now add 1 tablespoon of caster sugar and beat well with a wooden spoon until incorporated. Add the remaining sugar and beat well again until the mixture becomes a glossy sheen. Use straight away.
3. Place the mixture into a piping bag and do half a swirl on each cupcake, then get a teaspoon of curd and place in the center. Add more meringue and form into a point. (Optional)
4. Sprinkle over each cupcake a pinch of caster sugar and place in the oven for 6-8 minutes until golden brown.
For best results with the meringue topping use a star shape nozzle and disposable piping bags. Less mess and washing up to do! :)