Trains and trains

May 23, 2013

IMG_7773 IMG_7789 IMG_7784 IMG_7781 IMG_7777 IMG_7780 IMG_7775

We love trains around here. Ok well, Violet loves trains around here. Melbourne trains run everywhere and there are level crossings in the middle of all of the routes we take to get to the places we go. There's one about a 10 minute walk from our house and sometimes out of no where when we're at home she will shout "TRAIN! TRAIN!". If you strain your ears you can always hear the train blowing its horn or the warning bells of the barrier at the level crossing letting you know not to drive in front of the oncoming train. When we drive up to one she shouts excitedly until we pass it, or if we have to stop she exclaims "TRAIN! TRAIN! EE TOMING, EE TOMING. ERE TOMES!" until after it's passed.

When I was pregnant with her I had so many ideas of who I wanted to be as a parent and how I wanted my child's upbringing to go. Almost all of them were silly and only the fantasies of someone who didn't really know what's important in child raising. One of the silliest was that I was resolved never to treat my baby like a baby. I would instil in her my love of literature by reading real books to her from the beginning of her days until she wouldn't let me anymore. Spot the Dog would never sit on my bookshelf. So I started collecting beautiful second hand copies of all of the books I devoured as a little girl. A long list of serious classics because I was a very serious child. One day I found a copy of The Railway Children by Edith Nesbit and spent half an hour in the second hand book shop reading it as I remembered how I used to sneak out of the house on the weekends and down to the creek behind our house. There was a tiny and poorly made bridge going across it and I'd set myself up there with The Railway Children in hand. I would pretend that the creek was the railway and the bridge the platform, and I'd play at being the children in the story. I loved their tragedy and I loved their eventual happy ending. We didn't have any trains in my tiny town otherwise I might have spent hours there watching the trains go by like my story characters. I hope that when she is actually an appropriate age to have that story read to her that she still loves trains and that she will let me play at being characters in her favourite books with her.

an aside- Edith was on my baby names list for Violet after the author of this book

Please vote Violet Lulu a top baby blog here.

9 comments:

  1. It's a love of trucks here (there aren't many trains)it's lovely to see how amazing these things are through their eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? I get a weird feeling whenever I stop and notice her noticing these things- like a nostalgia, pride and joy all rolled into one..

      Delete
  2. Oh Hanna! Your girls make me heart melt. Such a wonderful post. I wish our girls could play together. We love train tracks over here and my girls would have to dress in pretty dresses too! They would be wonderful friends, don't you think? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just about to comment this on your blog: Violet was sitting next to me while I was reading your Belle and Boo post and when I paused on one of the pictures of Elle's curls she started shouting "THAT'S VIOLET! THAT'S VIOLET!". I guess the curls confused her but it was very funny. I wish they could play together too, they'd be firm friends, imagine all the adventures they would have together! xo

      Delete
  3. owsley would love to take a road trip and come play trains with violet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your daughters are beautiful! My kids love trains too :) Thanks for the follow, returning the favor!

    http://www.foodieinwv.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your daughters are gorgeous! I love your youngest's suit!

    Following you!

    Jay
    xo

    youngmumsguidetosurvival.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  6. What adorable daughters you have! I'm amazed you are able to keep their outfits so pretty and clean -- all my kids' clothes have stains all over them, ha ha! Thanks for the comment and the follow, following you now and I look forward to reading more!
    xxo.Brass Knuckles
    http://covertboutique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that she loves trains! And collecting your favorite books was a great idea!

    xo,
    Katie
    hellolittlebean.com

    ReplyDelete



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...