Vegan Chocolate and Peanut Butter Cupcakes (a recipe)

June 25, 2012

IMG_4717

I knew I had proportionately a lot of vegans coming to Violet's birthday party but I also knew that they would have eaten lunch before they came, even though the party fell over lunch time. I knew this because I'm not vegan and my vegan friends never go anywhere expecting to be fed unless the host is vegan themselves. However, I really didn't want them to be standing around without food at a party. So I decided that one of the cupcake flavours I made had to be vegan. Easy. I love vegan cupcakes, usually more than non-vegan cupcakes. When made right they are twice as dense and moist. I picked out a vegan chocolate cupcake base and then went searching for a peanut butter frosting. This is my other favourite flavour and I didn't feel selfish making my two favourites because I have no idea what the group would prefer AND I ended up making something stupid like 80 cupcakes so I knew I'd be eating the bulk of the leftovers. I also tied them into the purple theme but sprinkling them with purple coloured sugar, since I thought using food colouring to make purple peanut butter would be pretty weird. I made 3 batches of 12 cupcakes from memory.

Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting
Makes 12

Ingredients

-3 tablespoons Nuttelex (vegan margarine), softened
-1 1/2 cups sugar
-1/4 cup non-dairy strawberry flavoured soy yoghurt (or non-dairy yoghurt equivalent)
-1/4 cup sweet potato baby food
-2/3 cup vegetable oil
-1 tablespoon real vanilla extract
-1 cup chocolate soy milk (or other non-dairy milk)
-1 1/3 cup flour
-1/4 teaspoon baking soda
-2 teaspoons baking powder
-3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
-1/8 teaspoon salt

Peanut Butter Frosting Ingredients

-1/4 cup Nuttelex (vegan margarine), softened (NOT melted)
-1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
-1.5 tsp real vanilla extract
-1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
-1 tbsp soy milk, plus a little extra

Directions
Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius (or 350 farenheit). My oven is bad so I heated mine to 200 C. Line 1 (12-cup) cupcake trays with cupcake papers.

In a large mixing bowl cream together margarine and sugar. I used my food processor. Add wet ingredients.
In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients. Add dry mixture to wet mixture and mix well.
Fill muffin tins with batter.
Bake for 30 minutes but check after 15 minutes. The original recipe I went off said they would only take that long but for me it was actually closer to 40 minutes. You'll know when a wooden skewer inserted into the cupcake comes out clean.
Remove from pan and cool completely before frosting.

For the peanut butter frosting:

Place all the ingredients except the soy milk into a large bowl. Combine with an electric mixer or the knife blade of a food processor (it's too thick for a beater attachment!). Once it’s well-blended (it will be very stiff), add a tablespoon of soy milk and blend some more. Add a little bit more soy milk and keep beating until you reach the right consistency. It should be very light tan and fluffy.

The frosting on these cupcakes tasted like Reeses peanut butter, even though I used a different brand and together with the chocolate cupcake it tasted like a Reeses peanut buttercup. My vegan friends sought me out in the crazy of the party to let me know that they were the best cupcakes they had ever tasted so I think that says a lot about how delicious they ended up being.

Pipe icing onto cooled cupcakes with a large star attachment and dust with coloured sugar!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I was strict vegan for a year and then I got lazy and also remembered that I like eating meat sometimes. But these sound divine and I have some vegan friends who would love these!!! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...