To a 13 month old..

June 22, 2012

IMG_5370

Darling Violet,

We made it through the first year! Daddy and I are shocked that we managed to keep a human being alive for one whole year. I guess we did more than that, you are happy, bright, a fast learner, healthy, interesting and interested and very, very cheeky. Oh, and funny. Oh, and sweet, loving and trusting. Let me just get this out of the way: You're perfect. Not in a "my kid is better than your kid" way, just in the way that there is nothing anyone who knows you would change about you or anything that anyone could worry about. You bring us so much joy. Perfect.

This is the last official update I will do on you, from here on out anything new and exciting will just get a mention. You see, you're at the stage where everything is happening and I can't keep up with it all for a monthly update. You're too big, almost a little girl and you have opinions, likes and dislikes, more than needs- now you have wants. Sometimes you want to cuddle, sometimes you don't. You will happily let us know too!

IMG_5418

You learned to walk not long before your first birthday. In fact, you took your first steps at about 5:30pm on April 30th 2012. I think there were 7 of them in a row before you plopped down and honestly, I don't think you even knew you'd done it if the confused look on your face as Daddy and I cheered and oooohed are anything to go by. After that you took 3 or 4 at a time only for the first week, slowly getting more and more until 6 weeks later you trot around at increasingly fast speeds, hardly falling down. I won't be able to catch you soon. It's so nice for you to be able to follow me if I leave the room and to be able to walk side by side. Some days you want to hold my hand, some days you violently pull your hand out of mine to walk alone.

IMG_5404

You have four teeth, your front four, two on top and two on bottom. The two either side of the top teeth have pushed through, as has the one to the left of your bottom too but they are taking their time growing up/down. They gave you very little trouble, thankfully. Boy, it hurts if you bite a finger though. Speaking of biting, the other day in Sydney I wanted to hold you hand close to the water. I was scared and you were not. You kept trying to pull your hand out of mine but I wouldn't let you so you turned your head and bit my palm. It wasn't hard at all, not even hard enough to make me let go of you but I couldn't believe you realised that your teeth could be used in that way. I hope very much this does not become a thing for you, though I'm sure it will as part of some phase in the future.

IMG_5416

This past week you learned to kiss us on the mouth. You purse your lips (into a hard line, not a pucker!) and lean forward, eyes open, until they touch ours. You usually follow this move up with a hug, and then repeat. It is amazing. I hope for you that one day you have your own little girl or boy and get to experience this voluntary giving of affection. It feels like validation that we've been doing something right in loving you so openly and without holding anything back.

IMG_5359

You are also so generous, you can't have a piece of food in your hand without trying to share it (shove it in our mouths!), even if its your favourite. You even try to share with babies we pass in strollers. You hold your food out as far as you can. Well, you're either trying to share or show, I guess I can't be 100% sure. We got you a baby doll (Gotz Aquini baby girl) with a bottle and potty which you LOVE feeding. We call her Baby and whenever you see you you get a massive grin on your face and walk over to pick her up. Without a doubt she is your favourite toy, even if only to carry with you everywhere. The very first time I gave you the doll and bottle you immediately put the bottle in her mouth, I was floored. You knew what that miniature replica bottle was, where it was supposed to go and to hold it up for the baby! I can't wait to see how you interact with a baby brother or sister (we're working on getting you one!), I think you will be the best big sister, a fearless protecter, best friend and leader of adventures.

We just love you so much, with all our hearts, for all the times. Thanks for being ours and for loving us back.

IMG_5391
(Look, it turns out that Daddy took a picture of you biting me. Seeing as you'll be far beyond the biting stage by the time you're old enough to read this I can tell you without encouraging bad behaviour that I think this picture is so very cute and very funny)

11 comments:

  1. So sweet! Good job, mama! What a lucky girl to be so loved. And, also, your family is so cute and you are smokin hot!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oww, you're too lovely linds! xo

      Delete
  2. Happy 13 months sweet Violet. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. happy happy! thanks keri-anne, i'm so behind in comments..how embarrassing! xox

      Delete
  3. Violet is so gorgeous! For some reason my page won't let me respond to your comment, but yes Harlow wound up falling asleep in the car ride home and slept til 4 am that night! or morning haha. She looooved looking at all the lights, definitely made her tired though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha, I bet you were very grateful for the big sleep!

      Delete
  4. Lissa @ The Looking GlassJune 25, 2012 at 3:52 PM

    oh this is the sweetest post EVER and those pictures belong on a magazine! found you via the wiegands and am excited to follow! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you lissa! so nice of you :)

      Delete
  5. Oh, Violet is too sweet! Daisy is currently into biting and using her teeth as weapons also, its horrible!
    Agh, and those pig tails are so cute. She looks so grown up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's awful isn't it? although kind of cute, though let's not encourage!! is it daisy's birthday this week???

      Delete
  6. Hey lady!! I just found your cute blog via the hop and added myself to your followers! Also I’d love to have you check out a fabulous OSCAR DE LA RENTA giveaway I’m having right now!!
    Hope to see you there! And thanks so much!
    Xo, Emily

    http://emilymmeyers.blogspot.com/2012/06/oscar-de-la-renta-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...